Sunday, July 20, 2014

Saturday Service and the Week that Was

Yesterday, Josh and I got up early and went to put in a few hours of volunteer service at the Bishop's Storehouse, which is our church's version of a food bank or pantry.  Josh has a good friend who is serving as a full-time service missionary at the Bishop's Storehouse and Josh and I had been curious about what he was doing, so we decided to go and find out.  We picked up Josh's friend at 6:30 a.m. Saturday and drove a few miles to the storehouse.  When we got there, Josh's friend took us on the grand tour.  Here's what we saw:

 The actual store part of the Bishop's storehouse is about the size of a 7-11 or other convenience store.

The shelves are stocked with nutritious basic staple food items such as canned peaches, tomatoes, beans, spaghetti sauce, flour, dried beans, rice, uncooked pasta and cereal. Non-food items such as tooth paste, deodorant, laundry detergent and all-purpose cleaner are also available.

There is a small refrigerated section in the back of the store where there is an assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products like milk, butter and cheese and meats like hamburger, pork roast and chicken.

There was very little convenience or junk food in the store.  The only thing I saw on the shelves that could possible pass for junk food was packaged cake mixes in a choice of white or chocolate.

In the back of the store is a large warehouse where the food and other items are kept until they are stocked on the shelves.  Having been a Mormon all my life, I knew about Bishop's Storehouses as the place where the needy among us could go for food, but I had never actually been to one.  I was amazed by this place, the number of items stocked, its cleanliness and efficiency but mostly by the way the respectful, caring and non-judgmental way clients were treated as they came in for help.

Basically, if a member (or non-member) of our church is in financial need, the bishop (pastor) in the area meets with the person to determine the extent of the need.  If food is needed, the bishop asks the Relief Society President of the ward (parish) to meet with the person or family and write up a food order.  A food order is just a form that lists what food is available at the storehouse and the person in need indicates which items are needed and in what quantities.  The order is then signed by the Relief Society President and the Bishop and taken by the client to the Bishop's Storehouse where he or she is met by a host (this is what Josh and I were Saturday morning) who escorts him or her through the store getting the needed items.  There is absolutely no money at the Bishop's Storehouse.  Everything is totally free to the person or family in need. Visiting the Bishop's Storehouse is not a one-time shot either. Clients can return for help with as long as they are need - they only need a new food order signed by the Relief Society and Bishop whenever they come. By the way, I didn't take any of the pictures of the Bishop's Storehouse in this post, because the dignity and confidentiality of each client and his or her situation is of utmost importance.  The storehouse was never empty, like the pictures in this post.  It was filled with clients, and helpful volunteers, all morning.  Josh and I were busy helping clients fill food orders the entire time we were there.  I can't remember sitting down once.

We were at the Storehouse from 7 a.m. until past noon.  Although I had planned on leaving about 11 a.m., I changed the plan when Josh came up to me and said "mom this is fun."  If my son is enjoying himself helping others, we are staying longer!  

A picture of Jesus, similar to this one, hung on the wall of the Bishop's Storehouse with the admonition "Be Christ-like."  To me that said it all.  Help and serve others in their need.  Be kind.  Don't judge.  So for five hours Saturday morning, that is what my son and I did, and even though we helped others with their physical needs, it was Josh and I who came away nourished and filled in a spiritual sense.  Above all, we were happy and had joy in our service.  We will definitely be coming back to do this again.

Some of the other things that made this past week a good one included...

  ...morning workouts at the community recreation center. 

I have really enjoyed walking and working out on the equipment at the rec center each morning. Unfortunately, these morning work outs are about to end as summer vacation for teachers in our area is dwindling.   I do plan to keep my membership at the rec center and simply find another time to work out there.

...cloudy weather and cooler temperatures. We have still been over 100 every day, but not as far over 100 as we usually are this time of year.  Warmer weather is about to return, the weatherman says, and I suspect that our hot summer days are not over yet.

...lunch with friends.  Two good friends and I met here at Wildflower Bread Company for lunch and spent a couple of enjoyable hours chatting and catching up.

...company for dinner.  We had company over for dinner on  Friday evening and I made cheese enchiladas - a family favorite.  Here they are just before I put them in the oven.  Oh so yummy!

...a bit of time to read and relax.  Extra moments to sit down during the day with a good book are another casualty of back-to-school time.  I hope to finish at least one or maybe even two more books before summer vacation 2014 says goodbye for good.

Our family plans for this coming week:
  • a full work-week for Josh
  • a two half-day teacher class for me
  • a morning teacher meeting for me
  • teacher meeting for Charly
  • taking dinner to a friend who just had surgery
  • temple time
  • preparing for one last very quick summer trip
  • continue with painting and purging
  • records indexing at familysearch.org
  • haircuts
  • a new evening institute (scripture study) class for Josh
Hope you enjoy the coming week and take the opportunity to help someone else!

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another."
--Charles Dickens







16 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, It is so heartwarming to read about the Bishop's storehouse. There are so many in need and I am glad that you and Josh had this opportunity to serve.
    School in our area will begin in about 3 weeks.
    I hope you will have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place! It looks so clean and well organized. I like the way the people are screened as well - people can't take advantage of it, but they're not judged either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb! That storehouse is just overwhelming. Wow! What good you must be doing for all you serve. And you are doing such good work in volunteering too. Your son is so inspiring too!
    Hope your bible reading goes well this week,
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, this is amazing.
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful place and I am in awe of the love and stewardship that goes into it. It filled my heart with joy!
    Enjoy your summer...
    It seems to be passing quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that funny the way mission work 'works'....you start out thinking you are doing this for someone else, and you end up receiving so much more in return. Happens to us every time we do our water-work. Pay it forward.
    Sounds like you have a very busy week coming up....you can tell that summer is trying to wind down. Enjoy those vacation days that are left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've worked down there and I was completely overwhelmed at the behind the store big room. Completely! I couldn't imagine what the one in SLC looks like. I want to see it sometime. I'm not good with working with the clients. I don't know why. I feel funny telling them what they can and can't have. So last time I was in the back room re-shelving stuff as it came in. I liked that better. If only the government could run the welfare like the church does. It would work so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this experience with us here. What a blessing it was for you and Josh.

    Oh to be more like Jesus in all areas of my life.

    Have a great week Deb ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a storehouse! Wowzers! I am very impressed..Liam has been volunterring at the food bank..rumor has it they will be closing down and sending the food to the border..there is much need in this community, sadly. I would hate to see it close..summers here are hard for the little ones as school is out etc..and it helps feed them through the summer, not to mention the senior citzens etc.

    Thanks for sharing Deb..I wish all communities would do what you all do..what a wonderful thing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. the storehouse is a wonderful thing.
    lunch with friends is always fun.

    so what books are you reading before school starts?
    I'm currently reading Boys in the Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb,
    What a wonderful programs the church has in place! I've always been impressed with how well they work, and how they bless lives.

    I personally, love to go to the cannery. We just have dry pack here in our area of Ephraim/ Manti. Never the less.. I love to go!!
    The hot cocoa mix, is the best!!

    I cannot believe how quickly summer is speeding by!!
    Yikes.
    We don't live by the school calendar any more.. but I do need to get ready for canning season ***smile **..

    Hope this is a great week for you.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that is an awesome food bank and one that helps people in need. We should all be thinking of others when we can. love your quote from Dickens who loved to shed light on the working poor in his novels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that the food bank has very little junk food.
    It's so important to nourish people with good food, especially those who need it most.
    Much Love,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the Bishops Storehouse is one amazing place. I've never seen ANY store so neat and tidy and clean. What a wonderful thing to be involved in. : )
    Glad to see your still using your Striiv. They don't even make our kind anymore. Now they have one that is a bracelet!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one awesome food program for those in need. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it bad that it's morning and I could go for one of those enchiladas? YUM!!!

    What a great program the Bishops Storehouse is, that is wonderful to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad posted these great pictures! Our storehouse is about an hour away, so I've never been. It's good to see the many contributions organized by the church.
    Teacher meetings already? Wow, summer's going by fast. You sound busy with a lot of good things happening. Hugs to you from Pennsylvania! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments! Have a wonderful day!