This past week was a busy one with something going on every day (and very little time for blogging).
She is moving from California to Maryland soon, and wanted to go through some things she still had stored here under our stairs, so we got all of her boxes out....
and our daughter and her husband spend several hours going through all of the things she had left here at our house when she got married. She took some things home with her, donated other things, and threw the rest away.
We played with Play Dough.
painted bird houses,
played Wii Guitar Hero,
and colored eggs (this is one of my granddaughter's favorite things to do, whether or not it is Easter. Since it isn't Easter time, we called these "August Eggs).
I got to hold my youngest granddaughter a lot, and was so pleased that she didn't cry at all when I held her, even though I haven't been around her very much.
This sweet grandbaby is so precious. Here she is taking a quick nap on the couch while here mom and dad are nearby going through boxes. (The lovely blanket covering her is a weave-square blanket which was a gift from my good friend Karen aka Happy One).
She is sure growing up fast,
and we all enjoyed getting to know her a little better.
It was wonderful to be together again,
Tuesday was back to school night at the school where I teach. Son Josh had an activity with his church youth group to go on a little tour of the campus of ASU (since most of the boys in the group are seniors in high school, making plans for what comes next in their lives). In the middle of the night, we got a marvelous, heavy, monsoon rainstorm, with spectacular thunder and lightening.
Wednesday Josh and I were home, but Charly had a professional development class to attend at his school. He did get home in time for an evening walk.
Thursday we attended a wedding reception for our bishop's (pastor's) daughter.
Friday was our usual grocery shopping night and when we were finished with that, I was exhausted from a tiring week!
Saturday hubby and I were both up about 5 a.m. to spend some time at the Mesa Temple, as we try to do each week. Later in the morning, we took both of our cars in for oil changes, and I spent some time I sorting through more boxes of books and baby clothes that my daughter no longer wanted. I made another donation run to the local Deseret Industries thrift store. Later, we had some yard workers come and trim the trees in the yard. It was a huge job because we had let the trees go too long. The yard workers toiled several hours in temperatures of over 110. I am not sure how they handle that, but I am sure grateful that they are willing to do it, because I don't think I could!
The trees looked much better after their "hair cut" but we did lose a lot of shade.
Super tired from a very busy week, we decided to retire early Saturday night. I had been asleep for a while, when both hubby and I were suddenly awakened by the sound of the squealing tires of speeding cars coming around the corner that our house is situated on. Moments later, we heard the sound of rapid gun fire. Hubby went to our upstairs bedroom window and witnessed someone in a car shooting at someone else about thirty feet from the edge of our back yard. We called the police, as did numerous other people. There had indeed been a drive-by shooting in our usually quiet and uneventful neighborhood, in what has been acknowledged as "one of the safest cities in America." It surely wasn't safe Saturday night!
Sunday, we found that the The police remained on the street at the side of our house all night Early Sunday morning, we woke up to these scenes. Police tape cordoning off the crime scene, with white markers (you can see them if you look closely in the area where the police officer is walking) showing where all of the bullets fell. The local news reported that 20-30 shots were fired and one person was hit and injured at this location. A few minutes later, the shooter went to a nearby gas station, less than half a mile from our house, and shot someone else!
The police did a very thorough investigation. They were in the area for several hours after this picture was taken, and later, after church, an investigator came to our home to take our statements on what we saw and heard. Keep in mind that our back yard wall is literally inches to the right of this picture. All of this was happening on the street that runs right to the side of our home.
This is the news van that was parked at the side of our house. The reporter filed her report from right behind our house, where the camera was set up in the last picture. All of the excitement was actually pretty unnerving. We found out that the shooting was connected to a house party going on down the street from us. Two people were shot and injured and the police later caught a suspect who confessed to the shooting.
It was good to be able to go to church mid-morning to experience the peace that was there, but the rest of our Sunday went pretty much like the entire last week. Josh actually got up before 5:30 a.m. to attend a breakfast and early morning meeting just for the young men that took place before church, so that meant another early day for all of us, even after a very late night. I had to teach a lesson to the women's class. Later there was the before mentioned visit from a detective, calls to and from family members and another youth gathering tonight for Josh. A call from our mechanic (remember the oil changes for our cars yesterday?) informed us that hubby's car has a hairline crack in the oil pan and the repair shop cannot get the part until Monday, so we spent at least an hour trying to figure out how we could both be at different schools miles apart at the same time tomorrow morning. Our situation was saved by a kindly older woman from church, who is an early riser and volunteered to give me a ride to my school in the morning so that my husband can take our remaining car.
Whew! What a week! We will start all over again tomorrow, but we are hoping for a week that is at least a little less hectic (with a little more time to blog).
Hope you have a great week (and a little bit of time to relax and blog)!
Wow - you really did have quite a week! Glad you got to spend time with your daughter and her family - and that cute baby!
ReplyDeleteThat shooting is terrible. So glad they got the guy.
Deb, I am exhausted just reading that! I can only imagine how you must feel! I did enjoy sharing your week with you...especially the wonderful days with your daughter and her beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteNow, the shooting? Oh my!
Here's hoping this week finds you with a bit more time to snuggle on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book!
I am sad that this violence happened so close to home. Glad you are all okay and they caught the alleged criminal. I am looking forward to the day when my daughter clears out her "stuff" that is still in her room!! There is lots to go through.
ReplyDeleteThe family visit was awesome--but the drive by shooting--OMG! I'm glad they caught the person and I hope no one died. What a week, is right!
ReplyDeleteHi Deb! Wow, you have been busy! Doesn't it feel great to have all that stuff out of the house? Whenever we do a big clean, I say that our house has 'lost weight'.
ReplyDeleteHow cool that you had the chance to teach a church lesson! What did you teach about? That is such an honor :)
Happy Monday!
Ceil
Wow what a busy week for you!!
ReplyDeleteHow awful about the shooting. Oh my how scary that is to be so close to your home!!! At least they caught the guy.
So nice to see the baby blanket being used. : )
To Maryland they are moving!! My state, which part. Maybe when you visit we can meet up somewhere!!!
wow, i'm glad you guys are safe.
ReplyDeletebeautiful family visit pictures! looks the grand kids had a fun time with you :-)
Wow!
ReplyDeleteYou really should try and pace yourself.
That would have been so unnerving. I can't imagine that you would have been able to rest much at all.
Your weekend alone makes me tired.
Love your book list. I'm getting my teeth into some reading these days.
Wow, I'm so glad you are all safe. That is scary to have a shooting so close to your home--especially when you live in a peaceful, safe neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to have your daughter and family visit before they move. Those kind of visits make for wonderful memories.
How nice to have your daughter/family visit. I love the photos you have shared.
ReplyDeleteThat is scary about the drive by shooting. Our quiet, dead end street had 2 cars to get broken into over the weekend. I guess these things happen every where.
Wishing you a restful night. Good to hear from you.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! When my husband was in the Marines, we were stationed in Yuma. ANYWAYS-WHEW-you sure got me tired after reading your week, lol. Thanks for sharing your photos, they are very lovely. We live in a small town and I would be very surprised if the police showed up in our neighborhood like they did yours;)- Nice to meet you. Blessings
ReplyDeleteHoly cow, that is excitement when you have a shooting going on in the neighborhood. Your grandbaby is so darling, looks like you had one busy week!
ReplyDeleteI have been so lazy this month that I haven't kept blog reading at the top of my list each morning like usual. Hence this sentence:
ReplyDeleteGOOD NIGHT NURSE!!! I hadn't even known that that shooting occurred. It's true. I AM living in a cave! :) Soooooo glad all the neighbors were okay. I'd have been right at that window watching every move.
And.....my daughter lives in Maryland. Now how can we get them together. It would be impossible. She's about as anti-social as they get. She's her father's child. She didn't get that from me. In fact, she got a whole lot from her father that irritates me every time I see her. It's true that the older a person gets, the more they bring out idiosyncrasies of a parent. Can we all have a big GRRRRRRR now? :)
wow! what a crazy week!
ReplyDeleteLove the August eggs!!
Goodness! You have had some excitement.
ReplyDeleteIt is always a bit unnerving. I got ready to take a daughter's friend home one night only to realize our street was filled with flashing lights and Police blocking the road. I am so glad they will come when a problem happens, but it is a reminder that peace is gone from the earth. Our homes are such an important place for our families to take refuge. Even when the craziness is going on just outside.
Oh, my gosh Deb!!! What a week. So thankful they caught the shooter!! That would be so scary not knowing if it would happen again. Wow, I really do not think any place is safe anymore. So sad. So nice to hear your life, your normal life, between the busy-ness was steady--church, grocery shopping and visiting with your daughter!! How special to have that time with your grandchildren!! They are adorable by the way!
ReplyDelete